"Divine Light," featuring Cesar Franck's The Seven Last Words of Christ, and contemporary composer, Ola Gjeilo's Dark Night of the Soul, was performed on Saturday, May 18, 2013. RCS will perform for the first time at St. Clare's Church, 110 Nelson Ave., SI, NY 10308.
RCS Met the NY Knicks on January 27, 2013
Who says a community chorus has to be stodgy? The folks at Madison Square Garden gave us a chance to disspell the myth when they asked us to be a part of Staten Island Night at the Garden. RCS sang the National Anthem to open the NY Knicks game on Sunday, January 27, 2013. They must have gone to commercial on ESPN and MSG, so we didn't make it on national television, but we did sing live for an audience of 18,000! So, just for the record, check out our YouTube below.
RCS 2013 Scholarship Winner: Joshua Limage
Incentive Award winners: Frank Galante and Karima Jabril.
January, 2013 Scholarship Letter
Dear Music Educator:
On behalf of the Richmond Choral Society, I am writing to inform you of RCS’s Scholarship Program and to ask for your assistance in recommending students for our consideration.
Our Board feels that it is important to encourage young Staten Islanders, who are already active in singing in their schools, to continue their interest in singing. To this end, we have awarded vocal scholarships, up to $1000, to high school seniors for the past fifteen years.
We invite you to recommend a candidate for consideration this year (application deadline March 15, 2013. The application requirements are as follows:
- A resident of Staten Island
- A senior in good academic standing who has applied to, and plans to attend, an institute of higher education in the fall of 2013
- A participant in their school’s vocal music program: Chorus, soloist with an instrumental ensemble, SING, theater performance, or, realizing that some schools are not able to have these programs, a known participant in community theater or church/synagogue choir
We require that your candidate(s) complete the enclosed application form and submit a resume along with a copy of their musical selection. All further contact will be between the candidate and our selection committee. We will require an interview and an informal audition on April 20. In addition, the award winner will be offered the opportunity to perform at an RCS or RCS Youth Chorus concert.
Richmond Choral Society was founded in 1951 by Dr. Anders Emile to provide Staten Island singers an opportunity to rehearse and to perform classical choral works. In addition to presenting two concerts a year, we have performed at Alice Tully Hall, Carnegie Hall, Avery Fisher Hall, and at numerous official Staten Island events.
Thank you for your assistance in this matter. To view and print a scholarship application, click here. This scholarship document can also be filled out and emailed as an attachment to email address below. We are looking forward to meeting with your candidates.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 718-273-7130, or on line at email@example.com
Linda Atwell Reiersen
Application deadline-March 15, 2013 Scholarship Committee Chair
Auditions–April 20, 2013
RCS's Fall Concert, "New York Sings" Celebrating New York Composers – Featuring:
- Leonard's Bernstein's revolutionary Mass in a new concert edition which will be performed on Staten Island for the first time
- The Word, by Galt MacDermot, Staten Island resident and composer of Hair and Two Gentlemen of Verona, has dabbled in the sacred with this new work
- World premier of a new work by emerging composer, David Glorioso, entitled Supplication
Took place at St. Peter's Church on Sunday, December 16, 2012 at 4 p.m