March 7, 2017
Dear Music Educator:
On behalf of Richmond Choral Society (RCS), I am writing to inform you of RCS’s Scholarship Program and to ask for your assistance in recommending students for our consideration.
Our Board feels that it is important to encourage young Staten Islanders, who are already active in singing in their schools, to continue their interest in singing. To this end, we have awarded vocal scholarships, up to $1000, to graduating high school seniors since 1996.
We invite you to recommend a candidate for consideration this year (application deadline March 30, 2017). Here are the eligibility requirements. The candidate must be:
• A resident of Staten Island
• A senior in good academic standing who has applied to and plans to attend an institute of higher education in the fall of 2017
• A participant in their school’s vocal music program: Chorus, soloist with an instrumental ensemble, SING, theater performance, or, realizing that some schools are not able to have these programs, a known participant in community theater or church/synagogue choir.
We require that your candidate(s) complete the application form (scroll down) and submit a resume along with a copy of their musical selection. All further contact will be between the candidate and our selection committee. We will require an interview and an informal audition on Wednesday, April 26 at a location and time to be announced. In addition, the award winner will be offered the opportunity to perform at the RCS spring concert on May 20 at 8 PM at Zion Lutheran Church.
Richmond Choral Society was founded in 1951 by Dr. Anders Emile to provide Staten Island singers an opportunity to rehearse and to perform classical and contemporary choral works. In addition to presenting two concerts a year, we have performed at Alice Tully Hall, Carnegie Hall, Avery Fisher Hall, and at numerous official Staten Island events.
Thank you for your assistance in helping RCS offer this opportunity to our graduating seniors.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at 718-273-7130, or on line at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Linda Atwell Reiersen
Scholarship Committee Chair
Application deadline-March 30, 2016
2017 SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION
Deadline Wednesday, March 30, 2017
Home Phone ________________________ Email ______________________________
High School ___________________________ Cell Phone ________________________
College You Plan to Attend in the Fall of 2017
Signature of Candidate:
Signature of Parent:
Signature of Voice Teacher, Choir master, etc.
Vocal Training and Voice Experience (Please attach resume)
- The candidate will perform a selection from the classical vocal repertoire (opera, operetta, art songs, oratorio, Gilbert and Sullivan).
- A copy of the musical selection must be submitted with this application for our accompanist.
- Audition date–Wednesday, April 26
- Applicants will be notified for their audition location and time
Send To Ms. Linda Reiersen
3 Vine Street
Staten Island, New York 10301
Phone: 718- 273-7130 cell: 917 301. 3620 e-mail: email@example.com
This application along with all enclosures must be received by Thursday, March 30.
Any Applications Received After March 30 Will Not Be Considered